Thursday, September 18, 2008

Let Them Eat Beef...

I had an interesting experience yesterday. Well, maybe you wouldn't call it an experience. Anyway, I had decided to get the ingredients for a big pot of homemade spaghetti and a big pot of homemade chili, which I freeze in my one serving containers. So my thought process started kicking in and I thought that I'd make it out of ground turkey this time instead of beef. You know, healthier, less fat, less calories. Oh NO, it isn't. Not the ground turkey they sell at my grocery store. I looked at the nutrition label and just about dropped my jaw. Four ounces of the ground turkey was 260 calories and 12 grams of fat while the lean ground beef I buy (93/7) is 140 calories and 8 grams of fat. That's almost doubled! I can't remember the brand but if I were you I'd be sure to check the labels on meat if you aren't already doing that. I'll just stick to my red meat for my spaghetti and chili, thank you.

Since it's been a little cool here lately I was thinking yesterday that I'd have to get out some of my winter clothes, like long sleeve shirts and such. Oh my, I don't have any. All this past winter and spring when I'd out under grow something I'd throw it into my give away bag and get rid of them. All my bags are gone! I think I still have a trunk upstairs that has some stuff in it that I hadn't worn in a couple of years. Probably fancy stuff that I haven't worn since I retired so I may have to raid that trunk for something to wear in the interim until I can get some long sleeve stuff. I hate buying much because I'm sure I won't be able to wear it winter after this coming because I'm going to be real skinny by then. :o) How's that for positive thinking? Thank goodness I didn't throw away all my winter coats. Those are expensive items to replace and I decided when I started this weight loss trip that I'd just wear them big and not replace them until I was at goal. I've always wanted a navy pea coat for winter and they just didn't look good on me before. Wonder if they will next winter? Are they still in style? Hey, I'll even be able to buy myself a leather jacket then too. Never could find one that was pretty in a 3X.

I did have a splurge lunch yesterday. Didn't enter my foods last night so I don't know if I went over budget on my calories or not, but will check into that as soon as I'm finished up here.

Gosh, is it Thursday already? Well, have a good one!

6 comments:

Heather said...

Wow! Good thing you checked that label. Sounds like some butcher threw a lot of skin and yuck into that ground turkey!

Donna B said...

Found out the same thing as you about turkey vs beef. Ya gotta watch those labels all over the store. I never thought that "granola bars" would have calorie ranges so far apart either, as well as their fiber content and other nutritional information. This morning I was trying to find some fall clothes to wear as well. Sure claned out the closet big time! Now it is in bags to go to my sister, who is still a few sizes larger than I am. Good feeling, even if I do need to spend some money on a few new outfits.

MaryFran said...

Good for you for checking the labels and figuring out that the beef is better for you in that case! :-)

Clothes...do you have a decent second hand/goodwill store in your area? I've found them to be a WONDERFUL way to supplement my wardrobe without breaking the bank! Heck, I'll admit it, I've gotten designer brand clothes at thrift shops...and I'm too cheap to buy that stuff at the mall! So I guess you can say I'm dressing 'better' from thrift stores!

Pea Coats! LOVE EM!!!!!!

grammy said...

I went out to the freezer to check my frozen ground turkey(one reason I never look at the store is I never have my reading glasses.) Surprise. Mine is Jennie-O. 170 calories and 13g fat. I don't know why it is less calories than yours, but the fat was a surprise. You don't see it and can't drain any off. hmmmm. One thing that I like though is it is so much cheaper!!! At super WalMart anyway. By the way, I was so thrilled to see my address in your side bar. Cool. I need to learn how to do that. My coat story. My daughter in law sent stuff over for a garage sale and I kept the coat she had in there. lol. I need to get it cleaned, but feel like I have a new coat that fits. Wonder what she will think of that?

JC said...

I love this post. All of it. I discovered the same thing about turkey/lean beef. Way to go. Do you know the WW points on those recipes? I would love to have the recipes.

Clothes, I just laughed inside (cause I'm at work) at the phrase "under grow". What a wonderful term!! I'm with Mary Fran, a thift store is my best friend now that I can buy smaller sizes. I know this is a long comment but I got to tell you a story. A few years ago, I found a winter white leather jacket with a white fur removable collar. It was $495. I did not buy it but after Christmas it was 1/2 off. I longed for it and I did not have a coat since I gave all mine away in a local charity coat drive. The 3x I tried on was gone so I decided to buy the 2x thinking I would lose weight and could wear it next year. Well when next year came, I got it out and tried it on. I couldn't get in on!!!! I looked at the tag. I had bought a 1x (14-16)!!! Well, I got that coat out this year and not only can I get it on. I can zip it up!!! Yep, I was a happy girl.

This past Tuesday I took the day off and went shopping with my sister (didn't mention who on my blog so other sister wouldn't get upset with us). I headed for the plus sizes and she took me by the hand and said, "Oh, no sister, we aren't going to shop in this section any more." I did find some XL's in regular sizes that are snug but should be fine be the time we have really cold weather.

Yes indeed we have come a long way baby. Now get out to a thrift store and get all dolled up.

SeaShore said...

If you buy ground turkey, be sure it's ground turkey breast. I switched to mostly ground turkey breast because the cholesterol is lower than the extra-lean beef that was available. However, I did find that the stats for reduced-fat sausages versus turkey sausages to be the same. It surprised me too! Always pays to read the labels.