Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cooking for One & Plenty of Water...

I've been wondering lately WHY water helps in losing weight. We all know that it does but me being me, I just had to know the WHY and the HOW of it. So I went searching. I found a really good article that explains it completely and in really simple terms. It's called Why Drinking Water Really is the Key to Weight Loss by Maia Appleby.

My paraphrased version is:

We all know that water is processed through the kidneys, right? Well, when the body doesn't get enough water it throws the metabolism out of whack. When the kidneys are deprived of the necessary water it causes the liver to take over and do some of the work that the kidneys are supposed to do. The liver is the place that gets rid of the fat. When the liver has to work for itself and the kidneys, it can't do it's job properly and it's not as productive. Therefore fat is stored where we don't want it.

The article also gives some guidelines of how much water is best for losing weight and how to get it all down. Basically it says that we need at least 64 ounces a day to be healthy...but...for those of us that are over weight we should add 8 ounces for every 25 pounds of excess fat we carry. It goes on to say that the extra potty breaks we take will subside once our body gets used to getting the proper amount of water.

There's a lot of good advice there so give it a read.

Now on to cooking for ONE. I'm reading on most weight loss sites that your body gets tired of eating the same thing day after day. And when it gets tired of that it stores fat or at least doesn't get rid of it like it should. (Haven't done the research on this one yet but I will and then report back to you as to the why and the how.) My problem is that it is difficult to cook for only one, especially if you've spent 40+ years cooking for a family. I already package my chicken breasts or other meats into one unit per package before freezing them. But my biggest problem is (being the lazy person hat I am) that I hate to dirty up the kitchen just preparing one little measly meal for one measly person. So when I do cook I prepare enough for at least two meals and pop one in the fridge for the next day. So as I was entering my foods last night, I just copied and pasted them into today's food journal to save me time today. I wonder if that makes a difference. Does it mean that having the same thing today as yesterday will hinder my weight loss or does it mean that it has to be day after day after day? Something to check in to and believe you me, I will.

I've been getting really tired of grilled chicken and decided to try something a little different. Here's what I did:

Sauteed one (diced) chicken breast in 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
Added a half cup of mushrooms.
Sprinkled 2 ounces of (real) shredded cheddar cheese over it and allowed it to melt.
274 calories and approximately 5 WW points.

I served it over a cup of noodles (I hate rice but for those of you that like it, it would probably be better for you). It was just so yummy, and I've got enough for today! I used whole cheese since I just can't stand the FF stuff so if you like it you could change to the FF cheese and cut back on the calories and/or points. I had some Brussels sprouts and a whole tomato with it. It wasn't just good it was colorful too! When a meal looks good it makes it so much more fun to eat, doesn't it? Even if it is good for us.

Still haven't stepped on the scales yet but tomorrow is the day. This has been a really hard thing for me to do but I do know that it has kept me on target better than in the past when I was weighing every day. I'm so anxious to see what the outcome will be. The outcome will determine whether I will keep it up or not. So far my average calorie intake for this week has been 1267. One of those days I was way over because of my weekly splurge and one day I was way under because of the stress in my life.

Wish me luck on tomorrow's weigh-in.

10 comments:

Donna B said...

Good Luck on your weigh in, can't wait to read the results!

I have read mixed articles about eating the same thing day in and day out. I tend to eat the same two meals for breakfast and lunch and alternate 4-5 dinners each week, since my hubby is home from work. I agree, even as 1 or 2 people it is harder to cook, but I try to make the plates look nice and appetizing and our dinners a "special time." I found this helps for my lunches as well. I have a TON of healthy chicken recipes, since we have this 3-4 times a week. Ever try grilling chicken kabobs? LOVE them, cut up chicken into 1" cubes, marinade (we use Dash's lemon pepper) and then put on your kabob sticks with red and green peppers, onions and mushrooms and whatever else you like. Low cal and out of this world! Keep up the good work!

Candace MacPherson said...

I don't think left-overs can be considered the same as eating the same thing day-in and day-out. In fact, I am a fan of eating a similar meal for 1 week. Then switch it up. I guess it's personal preference, but as long as you're still losing - don't fix it.

Heather said...

I can believe the water information but I have a hard time believing that your body won't lose fat if you eat the same thing over and over.

Have a great day!

Anna Belle said...

Hey, Thanks for the info on the water. I didn't know this. Lord, I would have to drink a gallon a day if I added more for my weight. I'll stick with trying to get in 64oz. I'll look forward to your research on eating the same thing. You recipe sounds yummy. I don't care for rice either. Good luck with your weigh in.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Whoa, wait a minute. You're going to let a number on a scale determine whether you eat healthy and get (occasional) exercise? I don't think so. (Remember, I know where you live now. Well, the state, anyway. There didn't seem to be that many people; I'm sure I could find you eventually.)

Good job with the scale "maintenance". It's tough to break that reliance on it.

Your meal sounds pretty...and healthy! I'm lucky in that I don't care for rice OR most pasta, but that chicken sounded yummy!

I eat the same things all the time, and overall, I don't think it messes with my results, especially when I don't let in too many of the little splurgettes. :)

MaryFran said...

I can't wait to hear the results of your research on the 'same foods' issue! I tend to eat a lot of the same foods over and over and over again. For me it's becuase I"m a picky eater so sometimes my options are limited!

Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow! I've got my fingers AND toes crossed for you!

JC said...

Yep, cooking for one isn't any fun but I don't think one day of left overs would be the same as eating the same thing every day. I've heard pro and cons of eating the same thing. Dr. Oz of RealAge.com and Oprah fame recommends eating basically the same thing for two meals a day. I'll be looking forward to what your reseach finds. Thanks for the info on the water I didn't know that about the liver. The chicken receipe sounds yummy. I would rather use a little bit of real cheese than the FF stuff.
Yep, my little toe had it's own heart be the last day I was in Israel.
Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow. Catch you later.

angie nicholas said...

good luck with weigh in tomorrow. and good for you for staying off the scale. the dish you made sounds good. have a good rest of the week angie

grammy said...

It is so funny how different things work for different people. I guess the key is to find what works for YOU. I love to weigh everyday. It is like a safty net for me. I also have some foods I eat over and over. Like a Boca burger for lunch. I try to be more creative for supper. The hubby is pretty easy to please. My mother was a widow for many years and she always (almost) ate out. She was a tiny skinny thing, so it didn't matter as far as weight goes. My sister and I didn't fall into the 'tiny' catagory. She could never understand that. Hey, me either (o:

Anonymous said...

That chicken sounds yummy, but if it were up to me, I'd use at least a full cup of mushrooms! :D

Also, don't forget about the 2% cheese. There's virtually no difference in taste and it cooks/melts with the exact same consistency as whole.

Interesting about the water liver/kidney thing.