Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Blue Skies, Nothing but Blue Skies...

The sky is such a beautiful shade of blue this morning. This is one of my favorite things to do. When I'm upset or stressed I go out on the porch, set in the swing and look at the tree tops. I love watching them sway in the wind (no wind this morning though). It's such a peaceful experience. That small act gets my mind off things that are bothering me and settles me down. Give it a try sometime.

If I don't quit one of my bad habits I'm going to find myself on that swing a lot more often than usual. My bad habit? Stepping on the scale too much. I don't usually do it more than once a day but that is too much I know. Check out Donna B's last two posts. She's got some good points there. So that's my challenge for this week. I have to admit that I already stepped on them this morning (before I read Donna B). Tomorrow is my official weigh-in and that will be the last time I will do it until next Wednesday. I'm going to have a hard time sticking to that one. But I want to try it for one week and see if it makes me feel better about myself.

I haven't seen much of a change for the past couple of months on that horrible ole scale but when my oldest came to visit this past weekend one of the first things she said was that I'd lost more weight. I just saw her 3 weeks ago and she said that she could see a difference. Was she telling the truth or just blowing smoke up my butt? She insists she's truthful. I haven't noticed much difference in my clothes. Except that I put on a shirt last week that I had bought in March that was a little TOO snug through the middle and now I have enough room in it that I don't have to walk around sucking in my tummy. So maybe she's right.

Anyone else out there want to join me in staying off the scale for a whole week. Come on, give it a try and join me. Then we'll have blue skies all week no matter what the weather brings.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, first of all... no way I could check my weight just once a week. I used to do it that way when I first started WW, but then about 6 months into it I changed to once a day and there's no way I could go back. But once a day is my limit.

I'd recommend putting the scale somewhere extremely inconvenient after you've weighed in tomorrow. Like maybe take it out into the garage and stick it behind something that's really hard to get to. Otherwise, it'll haunt you ALL week long.

Oh, and as for big sis noticing you'd lost more weight, the same thing happened to me when I got back down here. The people who hadn't seen me in a couple of weeks said I looked like I'd lost a bunch of weight. I think it was a perspective thing. They just had forgotten exactly how thin I'd gotten since the last time they'd seen me. You get used to seeing someone a certain size and then every time you see them thinner (or heavier) you'll notice it every time.

It could also be that you're losing fat but gaining muscle. You've been walking an AWFUL LOT lately. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if you've gained muscles.

This is good, though, because then your body will burn the fat quicker the more muscle you have.

MaryFran said...

Having people notice your loss and realizing that your clothes are fitting you more loosely.....that is better than any number on a scale! Congrats!!!

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Scales lie, your clothes don't. Also, the fact that your daughter noticed your loss is great!

I applaud your scale challenge. I don't own a scale, so I would kind of be cheating if I said I'd play along. :) I weigh whenever I go to the trainer, which is about twice a week these days. I only weigh once (except one time when I couldn't believe I had a good loss).

I like to watch the wind blo, too. It's energizing and peaceful at the same time.

angie nicholas said...

I always found it hard when people tell me that I look good or that they noticed that I have lost weight. I guess it is because I am or have been so hard on myself in the past. I too sometimes find it hard to stay off the scales. I will join you in your challenge. I weighed myself today and Sunday's are my weigh in's it will be nice to have a surprise come Sunday and see that I lost some weight. good luck this week Angie

Donna B said...

Thanks for reading my blog. I was going to try the opposite this next week and step on the scale EVERY day to chart my weights to compare against my journal in www.sparkpeople to try and see why since I have started exercising I am not losing the 1-2#'s a week like I use to. Need to think a little more about it the rest of the week. Keep up the good work. It is a positive hearing comments from relatives, since they are ususally the first to be critical when you gain weight!