Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Life's Goooooooood...

Well, we didn't get the additional 6 inches, just one more it seems. And it's not because it didn't try hard enough. It snowed off and on all day and really hard, but the sun kept coming out periodically and guess it melted some in between squalls. At least it didn't do like in 2003 where we had a foot then a freezing rain storm and then another foot of snow, etc, until there was 3 feet with ice in between each foot and on top. Blue skies today so maybe the sun will come out and melt what's on my driveway. I could stand to go to the grocery store but not in dire need yet. Down to 1/3 loaf of bread but I can always make biscuits if I run out. Would make bread but don't have any yeast in the house. And THANK GOODNESS the power has stayed on. Whoops, "knock on wood."

My cats are outside cats and I have to give them water about 3 times a day because it keeps freezing. So I remedied that one. I went on line yesterday and ordered an electric water dish. It even has a thermostat that allows it to only turn on when needed. How cool is that? Evidently the cats get up before I do because there's always a little hole licked in the ice and I always feel sorry for them that I didn't get up and water them early. When it comes I won't have to worry about that anymore.

This not obsessing about food is really making a difference in my whole outlook on life. I cheated today and got on the scales just to see what a week without obsessing did to me and I've stayed the same. Maintanance is a good thing for me right now. I'm going to be really careful over the holidays (both of them) and eat the stuff I used to eat (if I cook it) but not over do it. Won't make any cookies or cakes or pies that will tempt me. I like my weight friendly pumpkin custard just fine and will enjoy that as my dessert.

One thing I will miss about the holidays in pistachios. My mother always sent me a big bag of them every Christmas. Was a tradition. When she passed away I was really distraught that the tradition wouldn't continue but low and behold, one of my nieces picked up on my sadness and always includes pistachios in my holiday packages. Now comes the hard part of not eating the whole bag in one setting. For me they are just like potato chips. I can't eat just one. Last year (the first Christmas on this healthier me journey) I gave them away. But this year I am not going to do that. I'm going to ration myself and enjoy a little of the olden days. I mean, what good's livin' without enjoying it.

Later blog-buds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you're doing better. I feels so much better to not be stressing over food, doesn't it?

That's the coolest thing about the electric cat dish. What will they think of next.

I keep picturing your little kitties licking the iced water until they can finally get the ice to melt to drink the water. I'll bet their heads twitch and shake back and forth because it's so cold on their little tongues. :D

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

I'll match my bag of chocolates to your bag of pistachios, and we can pace each other. :)

MaryFran said...

First of all, the outside watering dish sounds GREAT!!!

Secondly...that is what this journey is about. Learning to manage...NOT learning to live without. Enjoy each and every one of those pistachio's (over a period of time)!!! You'll be a much happier person!