Friday, April 18, 2008

Melancholy & Muffins

Had a pretty bad day yesterday. Oh, I stayed on my diet, but I was really down. It seems that when I'm down my brain shuts down too and it tells me to sleep. So I napped on and off yesterday. At least I wasn't eating which I did a lot in the "olden" days. One of the things that got me down is the day before, I found out that all the skin that is drooping from this weight loss isn't going to firm up again. Since I'm 61 not 21 or 31 or...it just won't go back to the way it was. Oh you wonderful young people out there that are doing this be thankful. Your skin is still elastic enough to firm up again. On the other hand mine won't unless I want to get it cut off when I finally lose 108 pounds. Have you seen the movie "Click?" Well I guess that's what I will get to do with my belly skin too. And not to mention my face and the double chins that I have. I'll probably look 80 instead of 62 when I'm finished and that is a depressing thought. Uh Oh, here I go again. Nope, not going there. But it did occur to me to just chuck this diet thing and get fat and non wrinkled again, then I dashed that thought and got on with it.

On a lighter note I have a new recipe for you. It's called 6 Weeks Bran Muffins and they are really yummy. They are only 2 WW points (with Splenda and 3 with sugar) a muffin and those of you out there that aren't on weight watchers they are probably around 100 calories each. They are called "6 Weeks" because the batter keeps in the fridge for up to 6 weeks. The original recipe made 8 dozen so I cut it in fourths since there's only one of me and it was supposed to make 2 dozen but I found that mine only made 1 dozen and that was enough for me (so if you want more than 1 dozen you will have to increase the recipe). I cooked the entire batch and after they cooled froze all but 2. They freeze really well. All I did was take one out of the freezer and placed it in the microwave on defrost for 30 seconds and they were just like coming out of the oven. They are best warm but they aren't shabby cold either. Now the recipe calls for bran cereal and that is the way I will type it but I substituted the second bran cereal with "Special K" because I don't need the extra bran in my diet since I don't have problems going to the potty. Enjoy!

1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup Post 100% Bran Cereal
1/4 cups + 1/2 TBSP solid Crisco shortening
3/4 cup sugar OR 1/4 cup + 2 TBSB Splenda
1/4 cup egg beaters
1 cup low fat buttermilk
1 cup Kellogg's All Bran Original Cereal
1 1/4 cups self rising flour

In a small bowl, pour boiling water over the 100% Bran, set aside.
In a larger bowl, cream the shortening and sugar (or Splenda).
Add the egg beaters and buttermilk and mix well.
Add the Kellogg's All Bran.
Add flour and mix well.
Fold in the soaked 100% Bran.
**Fill Pam sprayed muffing tins 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 14 to 18 minutes, until tops of muffins bounce back when poked with the finger.

They make a really nice addition to breakfast instead of toast and jelly. I used to make these when my girls were little. I'd keep the batter in the fridge and bake them fresh ones in the mornings. I didn't know then that they freeze so well or I'd have tried that. Course when they were real little there weren't any microwaves and when they first came out I surely couldn't afford one.

2 comments:

FluffyDonna said...

Yum! If you keep posting these yummy sounding recipes, I just might get inspired to cook for once in my life! (my hubby does all the cooking chez moi)

Sorry to hear you're sad. It's a tough decision, how do you want to live the rest of your life? Do you want to be active and healthy or just sit on the couch all day? :)I'm happy to know you scrapped the idea of just getting fat and depressed. I hope you keep up the positive attitude that losing this weight is well worth the journey.

Anonymous said...

These muffins are so yummy. I made a batch over the weekend and pulled one out of the freezer for lunch today.